Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Find Joy in the Journey- Now!


I've been pretty lazy in my journal writing as of late. Many spiritual things have happened, but I've been so busy to even just write them down. Well, on the way home from school today, I kinda had a wake up call. I was about a block away from home, when a girl began walking across a cross walk. At the same time a school bus on the other end, began to whip around the corner fast, heading right for the girl. At the last second the girl freaked out and jumped back, just barely avoiding a fatal accident. The bus was going fast enough that it would quite possibly have injured her badly if not killed her. Life just seemed to freeze. I began to realize that we, or any loved one for that matter, could be called to the other side of the veil at any moment.

I was reminded of President Monson's talk from this past October Sunday Morning Conference, Finding Joy in the Journey. President Monson admonished, "This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now. . . My brothers and sisters, there is no tomorrow to remember if we don’t do something today."

He goes on to state, "Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, 'They do not love that do not show their love.' We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us."

President Monson then issues us a challenge: "Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of 'what if' and 'if only.' Said author Harriet Beecher Stowe, 'The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.”'

So there it is- straight from the prophet's mouth! I realized how much more I should be grateful and loving to those around me and to express it more publicly through actions and words.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love reading your blogs! You are the best brother any one can have! (besides jacob) hahaha I love you!